Arkansas was admitted to the union on June 15, 1836 as the 25th state of the United States.
That makes Arkansas 183 years old!
Here’s a few fun facts about the year Arkansas became a state:
- Peach trees were in bloom
- Heavy rains caused significant flooding on the Arkansas River
- Rainy weather was frequent, with flooding causing damage to crops
- Five to six inches of snow fell in Washington County
- Two to three inches of snow fell in Little Rock
- In Little Rock, the temperature fell from 55 degrees at 9 a.m. to 14 degrees at 9 p.m. (a fall of 41 degrees within a 12-hour time frame)
- The temperature in Little Rock bottomed out at nine degrees above zero
Happy 183rd Birthday, Arkansas!