A 36-year-old Mountain Home man out on parole is headed back to prison after he changed his plea in two cases where he fled from police, once while in possession of drugs and once while in possession of a firearm.

James Patrick Lally appeared last week in Baxter County Circuit Court where he changed his plea to guilty on felony charges of possession of methamphetamine, possession of drug paraphernalia and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Lally also entered guilty pleas to misdemeanor charges of endangering the welfare of a minor and two counts of fleeing on foot. Following the change of plea and in accordance with a plea agreement, Circuit Court Judge John Putman sentenced Lally to 6 years in prison.

The cases

In the first incident, Sgt. Joel Richardson of the Gassville Police Department was on patrol at 12:04 a.m. on Feb. 23 when he spotted a car driving with a light out. He stopped the car at a local storage business.

When the car stopped, Lally jumped out of the passenger seat and ran from the vehicle with the officer in pursuit. As Lally ran through the storage buildings, Richardson lost sight of him.

However, the officer caught up, spotted Lally, and with his pistol drawn gave Lally several commands to stop running. Lally did not comply and kept running until he fell. He got up, continued running and fell a second time.

Sgt. Richardson put away his service pistol and drew his Taser, telling Lally if he got up the officer would deploy the taser. Lally stayed on the ground until a second officer arrived and handcuffed him as Sgt. Richardson continued to point the Taser at Lally.

The driver of the car was arrested for driving on a suspended license. When Richardson searched the car, he found a loaded Bushmaster AR15 rifle. The owner of the vehicle was called and said she had been in the car a short time before and there was no rifle in the vehicle at that point.

Lally was arrested on charges of being a felon in possession of a firearm and fleeing.

The second incident occurred on July 25 when Mountain Home police officer Cody Hillicker spotted a woman he knew from previous law enforcement encounters driving a car on East 9th Street while not wearing a seat belt. He also saw Lally in the passenger seat of the car and knew Lally had a warrant out for his arrest.

Hillicker pulled the car over at a nearby gas station. When the car stopped, Lally got out and ran behind the building. As Hillicker ran after him, Lally completed a circle around the building and got back into the car.

The female driver began to drive away. However, when Hillicker commanded her to, the woman stopped the car. Lally then crawled into the back seat past a child and exited the car. Hillicker moved to the door and placed Lally under arrest.

Officers searched the area and behind the gas station they found a pink cloth containing a meth pipe and a small clear bag containing meth. The female driver was questioned and told officers Lally had the pink cloth with him when Hillicker pulled them over.

Lally was arrested on charges of possession of meth, possession of drug paraphernalia, fleeing and endangering the welfare of a minor.

Read or Share this story: